We are interested in novel spin textures, especially those occurring in three-dimensional magnetic objects such as nanowires, nanotubes and 3D MRAM. In these, specific effects are made possible by curvature, three-dimensional spin and space, and topology with azimuthal periodic boundary conditions. We design and fabricate devices, image the spin textures, and ultimately aim at addressing these with spin-polarized currents. The applied background includes the proposed concept of 3D race-track memory. This research topic is conducted in close collaboration with colleagues in the Theory group, with LEMMA laboratory at IRIG, with Institut Néel, and expert chemist groups in Germany.
Physics of spin textures
We aim at investigating the existence and dynamics of motion of 3D spin textures under magnetic field or spin-polarized current. While nanowires have been the initial focus, we are developing multilayered nanotubes for their higher versatility for spintronic purposes. Checking the strength of topological protection against their transformation or annihilation is a major goal. We also contribute to 3D MRAM development. We combine material synthesis, experimental investigations, and micromagnetic modelling.
Special samples need to be designed and synthesized to stabilize 3D spin textures. They may be based on bottom-up chemical synthesis (anodization, electroplating, electroless deposition, atomic layer deposition) and/or lithography for electrical contacting.
Advanced magnetic imaging
Magnetic imaging 3D spin textures is demanding in terms of spatial resolution, bulk/surface and multi-components sensitivity. We are developing expertise in various electron- and X-ray-based techniques, both in the lab and at external facilities.
- M3d, FP7 (2012-2016).
- MILF, ANR (2019-2022).
- C3DS, ANR-DFG (2019-2022).
- Institut NEEL, Grenoble, France.
- Prof. J. Bachmann. Department of Chemistry, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.
- Prof. W. Ensinger. Materialanalytik – Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany.
- C. Gatel, CEMES, Toulouse, France.
- L. Perez, IMDEA, Madrid, Spain.
- Prof. M. Vazquez, Group of Nanomagnetism and Magnetization Processes, CSIC-Madrid, Spain.
- A. Lubk, D. Wolf, IFW Dresden, Germany.
- J. M. de Teresa, Univ Zaragoza, Spain.
- A. Fernandez-Pacheco, The Cavendish Laboratory, Department of Physics, Cambridge, UK.
- PhD position [POSITION FILLED] – TEM magnetic imaging of ferromagnetic nanotubes for 3D spintronics (October 29th, 2018)
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED Keywords: 3D spintronics, magnetic nanotube, magnetic domain wall, curvature, electron holography, magnetic imaging, core-shell Topic Three-dimensional spintronics is a fast emerging topic . On the fundamental side this opens pathways for novel spin ...
- Masters thesis projects for Spring 2019 (October 10th, 2018)
You find here the list of proposals for Master-2 internships to take place during Spring 2019. In most cases, these internships are intended to be suitable for a longer-term PhD work. Interested Master-1 students are ...
- Seminar : Spin Topology for Applications at Room Temperature (March 28th, 2018)
On April 17, we have the pleasure to welcome Professor Christos Panagopoulos(lien) from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He will give us a seminar which will take place at SPINTEC room 434A at 11:00 Recent advances in thin film ...
- PhD thesis defense : Elaboration and characterization of magnetic systems for skyrmion observations (November 15th, 2017)
On Thursday, the 07th Of December 2017 at 14h00, Chloé BOUARD from DRF/INAC/SPINTEC, will defend her PhD thesis entitled “Elaboration and characterization of magnetic systems for skyrmion observations” Place : Amphitheater from CNRS building A-3rd floor ...
- Proposals for student internships for Spring 2018 (October 03rd, 2017)
You find here the list of proposals for Master-2 internships to take place during Spring 2018. In most cases, these internships are intended to be suitable for a longer-term PhD work. Interested Master-1 students are ...
Former team members
- Sylvain MARTIN (2016-2018)
- Chloé BOUARD (2015-2018)
- Beatrix TRAPP (2015-2018). Joint with Institut NEEL.
- Alexis WARTELLE (2013-2017). Joint with Institut NEEL.
- Hoel ROBERT (2018). Joint with INAC/MEM.