Microwave oscillations of the magnetization around its equilibrium are the natural dynamical response to external perturbations (e.g. thermal fluctuations, microwave fields). This offers the promise for a new class of microwave devices, benefiting from their small foot-print, their ability to be controlled electrically, and their integrability with CMOS technology. Identified devices include local oscillators, microwave filters, detectors, and non-reciprocal devices. Understanding the dynamics of these nano-objects, applying general concepts of microwave oscillator techniques and defining from this novel microwave applications is the major aim of this activity.
Spin Transfer Torque Oscillators
We are realizing and studying microwave emitting sources based on the magnetization precession, mainly in the shape of nanopillars made out of magnetic heterostrucures. This offer the possibility to build new devices for telecommunication in the Ghz range.
Magnons are the quasi-particles associated to the collective excitations of spins. Mode engineering and transfer of angular momentum by magnonics current are some of our key ongoing research activities.
- Sylvain MOULIS
- Artem LITVINENKO
- Pankaj ZETHI
- Alumni : A. Ruiz Calafora, K. Jaimes Merazzo, K. Garcia Hernandez, C. Murapaka
- Nicolas Thiery
- Alumni : Kyota Watanabe (GP-Spin program), Matthieu Favre, Jérôme Hem, Anike Purbawati
- W.E. Bailey – Columbia University (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), A. N. Slavin – Oakland University (2012, 2013), V. Naletov (2016)
- ANR SPINNET
- ANR MAESTRO
- EU GREAT
- EU MOSAIC
- ANR SPINOVA
- Leti (Grenoble)
- Unité Mixte CNRS/Thale (Palaiseau),
- Service de l’etat condense-CEA (Saclay)
- Univ. Munster (Germany)
- INL (Portugal)
- University of Münster (Germany)
- Oakland University (United States of America)
- HOW TO REDUCE THE LINEWIDTH ? SYNTHETIC ANTIFERROMAGNETS (SAF) ! (July 02nd, 2015)
What are typical linewidths ? Besides output power (for which good strategies exist to reach the required specifications), linewidth is an important issue and determines basically the type of applications where STOs can compete. The ...
- HOW TO INCREASE THE OUTPUT POWER : SPIN VALVES VS. TUNNEL JUNCTIONS ! (July 02nd, 2015)
What are the requirements ? Integration of STOs into conventional RF circuitry means that the STO has to meet certain specifications. The most important are output power and phasenoise. In this section we consider only ...
- HOW TO MAXIMIZE THE PRECESSION AMPLITUDE USING A PERPENDICULAR POLARIZER ? (July 02nd, 2015)
How to stabilize an ascillation around the energy maximum ? Why a perpendicular polarizer ? First experiments of spin torque driven excitations using an in-plane magnetized polarizer (in a standard spin valve structures) showed ...
- HOW TO INCREASE THE OUTPUT POWER : HIGH IMPEDANCE AMPLIFICATION ! (July 02nd, 2015)
What are the requirements? Integration of STOs into conventional RF circuitry means that the STO has to deliver 0dBm to drive for instance RF blocks such as a mixer. Using magnetic tunnel junction devices we have ...
- WHITE PAPERS / MAJOR PUBLICATIONS (July 02nd, 2015)
WHITE PAPERS / MAJOR PUBLICATIONS