Microwave oscillations of the magnetization around its equilibrium are the natural dynamical response to external perturbations (e.g. thermal fluctuations, microwave fields). This offer the promise for a new class of microwave devices, benefiting from their small foot-print, their ability to be controlled electrically, and their integrability with CMOS technology. Identified devices include local oscillators, microwave filters, detectors, and non-reciprocal devices. Understanding the dynamics of these nano-objects, applying general concepts of microwave oscillator techniques and defining from this novel microwave applications is the major aim of this activity.
Spin Transfer Torque Oscillators
We are realizing and studying microwave emitting sources based on the magnetization precession, mainly in the shape of nanopillars made out of magnetic heterostrucures. This offer the possibility to build new devices for telecommunication in the Ghz range.
Magnons are the quasi-particles associated to the collective excitations of spins. Mode engineering and transfer of angular momentum by magnonics current are some of our key ongoing research activities.
- Chandrasekhar Murapaka
- Alumni : A. Ruiz Calafora, K. Jaimes Merazzo, K. Garcia Hernandez
- Kyota Watanabe (GP-Spin program)
- Matthieu Favre
- Jérôme Hem
- Anike Purbawati
- W.E. Bailey – Columbia University (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), A. N. Slavin – Oakland University (2012, 2013), V. Naletov (2016)
- Leti (Grenoble)
- Unité Mixte CNRS/Thale (Palaiseau),
- Service de l’etat condense-CEA (Saclay)
- Univ. Munster (Germany)
- INL (Portugal)
- University of Münster (Germany)
- Oakland University (United States of America)
- GREAT – A H2020 ICT project at SPINTEC (June 30th, 2016)
Overview GREAT (European H2020 project) was accepted at the Summer 2015. Its kick-off meeting took place at SPINTEC in Grenoble on February 22nd-23rd 2016. The project aims at developing magnetic stacks able to equally perform memory, radio-frequency ...
- Spin orbit effects (July 24th, 2015)
YIG delay lines: Description: Microwave wireless telecommunications are the backbone of the information age. They enable the exchange of data between connected objects. The Internet of Things is expected to connect as much as 80 billion objects ...
- Origin of linewidth broadening? Frequency fluctuations! (July 02nd, 2015)
Why is the linewidth broadened ? Phasenoise is the parameter that any engineer will ask you to provide in order to evaluate the performance and to define possible applications for an oscillator. From theory [Kim, ...
- HOW TO REDUCE THE LINEWIDTH ? SYNTHETIC ANTIFERROMAGNETS (SAF) ! (July 02nd, 2015)
What are typical linewidths ? Besides output power (for which good strategies exist to reach the required specifications), linewidth is an important issue and determines basically the type of applications where STOs can compete. The ...
- HOW TO INCREASE THE OUTPUT POWER : SPIN VALVES VS. TUNNEL JUNCTIONS ! (July 02nd, 2015)
What are the requirements ? Integration of STOs into conventional RF circuitry means that the STO has to meet certain specifications. The most important are output power and phasenoise. In this section we consider only ...